10 Regents Park Road
Excuse the rather lazy copying and pasting, but hey, it’s almost midnight:
Designed in 1954—56, No.10 Regent’s Park Road is one of Ernö Goldfinger’s first post-war works. In 1952 a group of people formed themselves into a co-operative to build themselves homes under the 1936 Housing Act, which allowed Housing Societies or Associations to raise a loan or mortgage through local authorities. The flats were collectively owned by the Society, which elected officers to represent them in dealing with the architect, builder and St Pancras council, through whom they obtained the 90% mortgage. Few such societies were formed because of potential legal difficulties, though they were the most common way of building in eg. Scandanavia at the time, and the venture attracted considerable interest. The design and fittings, though simple, were of high quality at a time when building licences were still restricted for private building.
It marks the first stage of his progression from the restrained modern classicism of his Willow Road terrace (here as there brick is still the dominant material), towards the tougher, exposed grid — which is first seen here — and which was to go on to dominate his late, great projects. The bold expression of the balconies, with their mannered, pre-cast panels, is seen particularly as a foretaste both of Goldfinger’s later works and the general development of a tougher architectural idiom in brick and concrete by younger architects from 1958 onwards. The contrast of red brick and concrete with the neighbouring stuccoed terraces is remarkable. The flats are also important in their own right as one of Goldfinger’s most successful and least altered domestic works, and as a most interesting example of how ten flats could be provided on a tiny gap site.
The block consists of 4 storeys and attic, each originally with two flats per floor; those to ground floor and attic are studios, set behind garages and roof terrace respectively. Flats C and D are now combined. Basement laundry, garden room and storage areas.
The principal elevation is a symmetrical composition above the ground floor, which has entrance offset by double garage to left. These and garage to right have varnished timber doors. Door and surrounds glazed with Georgian wired glass. Flats have continuous metal casement windows. Balconies are angled, with metal balustrades to side contrasting with precast panelsto front. The whole facade a careful composition of
contrasting materials and finishes. Rear facade simple, but ground-floor studios with similar balconies to those on front. Ten letter boxes arranged in two rows.
The interior is also of interest. Entrance hall with quarry tile floor leads to staircase set in central structural well. Cantilevered staircase without risers, the slender steel balustrades springing from the side of the treads in a manner comparable to that found in the spiral stair of Goldfinger’s demolished Player House. The first floor with two 2-bedroom flats, the second and third floors each with one 1-bedroom and one 3-bedroom flat, all originally with folding screens between living room, dining area and kitchen with fitted cupboards, and with mahogany veneered fitted bedroom cupboards. Goldfinger originally provided tiled bathrooms, and specified bathroom fittings and suggested colour schemes. Living rooms and studios originally with thermoplastic acotiles tiled floors similar to those in Goldfinger’s own Willow Road.
Source: British Listed Buildings.
I can’t see much original left here though. In fact this flat first came onto the market back in November, and was under offer fairly quickly. For some reason it seems to be back on the market. View the listing here.
Exterior image: © James Barras via Flickr